hmmm i forgot
I forgot to write about Saturday and Sunday. I sang kirtan at a gurdwara on Sunday, which went really well, I think. It wasn't as big of a deal as I thought, so that was a relief. I performed for 50 minutes, which is a long time for me, but there were almost 25 people there - all in the senior range. So it was all good.
I was worried about it because the night before, I hung out with Bani and friends - the same friends I had hung out with a couple times before. We went to this dandhiya party, which are these outdoor party/event-type things that happen around this time of year. (Right now is the Dusera holiday, and Diwali is in three weeks.) Dandhiya Garba Raas is a Gujrati dance - the dance with the sticks. So you just kind of go to these parties with friends and dance with sticks. It was fun, but personally I prefer Punjabi. We got there really late though, so then we danced a little bit and ate food and hung out, etc. Then we went to a Barista coffee shop and had coffee. And then we split up - the others went home and Bani, a special friend of hers (haha), and I went to the Taj hotel (a 500 star hotel) to have coffee (again) and dessert. I was setting myself up for a late night rehearsal before the gurdwara gig on Sunday. So I got home at 3:30 and then went online to talk to people - haha. After practicing, I went to bed at 6 am and woke up at 8:20 to get ready for the gurdwara. After ironing my salvaar kameez, eating breakfast, and getting dressed, my kameez, the shirt, ripped because it was cheap-as-hell, and it had gotten snagged while ironing. (It was a brand new suit - whaaaat!?!?!) Anyway, so then I changed and went to gurdwara and everything was fine.
After performing, they gave me a copy of Kambdi Kalai, a book of poetry and songs, by Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh, which I think we already have, but it's cool to have my own copy. (Bhai Vir Singh was a famous Sikh writer and scholar, and he's also my great-great-grandfather!) The place where this gurdwara program was held was at Bhai Vir Singh Hall in Delhi.
My family in Amritsar lives right next door to Bhai Vir Singh's home, which is now a museum, on Lawrence Road, so I think I'll go there today.
later! if you're reading this, drop me an email!

<< Home